Friday 7 October 2011

Busy bunnies

I am today the aforementioned busy bunny. Or pupu, in Finnish. I have three things of great enough excitement to report today, dear readers. 


News item #1. Yesterday I had an interview. I wore heels and a skirt and make-up and ironed things and everything. Yes, I'm still sporting a hairstyle better suited to a girl of primary school age, but I like to think I have a certain skill with a Kirby grip. I showed up exactly ten minutes early. I know some go for the super-keen fifteen minutes early, but I know myself - ten minutes of waiting, not looking nervous, not making eye contact with anyone is the limit of what I can stand. The interview takes place in a corridor full of boxes of stock where someone has pushed a few aside to fit in two chairs, but it was cute. I like to think I do better at interview than I do on the basis of a CV or first application. I answered all the questions, didn't swear or fart or insult anyone, so we'll see how it goes. I even tried to sound like I had a clue about what was going on. Mr Manager Dude was interviewing five people, and needed to hire two, so the odds are good. He even promised to let us know either way last night or tomorrow morning. It's only half eight so I'm not exactly expecting the phone to ring right now, but hopefully I'll know either way by about lunchtime. If I do get it, it's a job till the end of the Christmas rush, and then a one in three chance of a permanent part-time job. 


News item #2. In the form of an email yesterday evening
Your ..... application - invitation to self schedule group assessment
Dear... I am pleased to invite you to attend an assessment centre at ..... Aberdeen. To choose a suitable date and time please log in to the application centre
Sounds a lot like an interview. Yay, go me, woop, etc. I'm holding off selecting a time for it until I hear back from yesterday's Mr Manager Dude. 


News item #3... is about a job vacancy a friend has passed on to me. It's for a full time (three year!) teaching job at a fancy school about two and a half hours away from where I am now. I am woefully underqualified for it, but if I decide that it excites me enough I will still give it my best shot. So I've got some thinking to do about my priorities in this world. I'm comfortable in Aberdeen, but am I tied to the place? What things make me feel tied to it and are they worth staying for? Do I want to be a teacher? I've got 12 days before the deadline for applications. Reckon that gives me about a week to make my mind up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment