Tuesday 9 December 2014

When is a Christmas Tree not a Christmas Tree?

So Here I am. 


Writing a post about Christmas Decorations. 

Writing a post about all the things I don't write posts about. 


Tonight I'm sitting at home eating my tea, and soon we'll go out and go to Church to put up the Church Christmas tree. Which is likely to be the most Christmas Tree-ish Christmas Tree in our lives this year.

Yup, we still have this thing. Our very own slice of ecological terrorism. It will get more lights once I track down a soldering iron and fix the second set of lights that I just broke.

But I'm also sitting here thinking about how Christmas Trees, although festive and pretty and generally all cheery, are not the most interesting thing to write about or read about. Then I get to thinking about all of the things I avoid mentioning in the medium of this lil' ol' blog. Because it would be inappropriate, because I'm not just talking to one close buddy here, I'm potentially talking to the whole Goddam internet. I'm not, I'm talking to the corner of the internet who know me, which works out at around 50 pageviews a post (a thing which makes me SO SO excited). And I don't like rocking the boat. So I'm bound to talking about things of relatively little consequence.

Like this cactus. His name is Colin. 


There's some topics which don't make it up here. Work, Money, Relationships, Family, Health. Y'know the important stuff. This is not a place in which I can be particularly critical of anything close to me, on account of wanting everyone to be nice and hold hands and skip and stuff. Of late, I have learned to let myself mention L in passing, but I find I check myself when I type the word "Girlfriend", and then CTRL+backspace, think about it for a while, type it again, and eventually ask L if I'm allowed. And yes, I just did all that.

But hey, we bejazzled the Cheeseplant, so all is well.

My colleagues read this (Hey Guys!), and I'm over the moon that they do, but there's some stuff I'm just not going to tell you. At least not all of you at once, unsolicited. I like you and all, but that'd be weird. You're never going to see a post entitled, "All The Things I Daydream About At Work", likewise unless I'm having a very particular crisis you're not going to see, "10 Big Important Jobs That I Totally Fail At".


Like if the Wise Men had a blog, just imagine the posts - "Think Your Christmas Shopping is Hard?", "How I Found The Messiah Before You", etc. with no mention whatsoever of how they hadn't washed their socks in a fortnight and couldn't remember their own phone number.


So what's left is the light-hearted stuff. It's my weekend adventures, whimsical little musings and pictures of my house plants. And, and this is what's getting me here, it's all a bit spun towards the positive stuff. I'm not going to come home and write about how crappy my day was when I could write about the Tiny Squirrel. I'm not going to write about all the things I may or may not think I'm crap at when I could give you a picture of me on a stage doing a cool thing.



My point, if indeed I have one at all, is this: I love it that you read this thing. It will usually feature happy things, and skipping. Please don't for a moment go away thinking that I have it all together, cos there is a reason why this post does not contain a picture of my room. I'm trying to notice how selective I'm being, but I'm human and proud, so selective I shall be. Sometimes I'm going to try to use it to tell you guys exciting stuff, but most of the time, it's going to be the Tiny Squirrel and the Cheese Plant. And I hope that's ok.

In other news, still very behind on the advent calendar. 
So we went out, and the Church is now decorated. It's not quite the whole 20ft pine I'm used to back home, but hey, it's a tree.


Happy Christmas and All That Sort of Thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment