Sunday 21 August 2011

Fractions of car

I am a very lucky duck-watcher, for this week I am to become a car owner for the very first time. The excitement lead to me jumping up and down in a phone box for the best part of an hour much to the amusement of one particularly nosy village resident. I tell a lie, I am about to become a fraction of a car owner - not because I will need to sell one of every body part that I have two of and half of every that I have one of, but because this car will not only belong to yours truly. It is to be friendly caring sharing community type car. To this end it is unlikely to come into my possession whilst I am having my countryside adventures of which I occasionally tell.

This makes life every so slightly ironic, one feels. Since the moment of ok-do-it-my-Mum-approves I have covered many (enjoyable, calorie-burning) miles on foot and bicycle. I have also spent some quality internet time working out all possible public transport methods of travelling between here and home in Aberdeen. It seems it is possible to travel between the two without a great detour to Inverness or Perth. Nethy Bridge to Grantown to Advie to Toremore to Aberlour to Dufftown to Keith and the last leg on the train to Aberdeen. All well and good, a bit faffy but it does the trick. However. That first bus leg from Nethy Bridge to Grantown were I to get comfy, have a little daydream and not get off at Grantown, would continue on to Inverness, whereupon I would be in time to jump aboard the very train that would finish off my great local bus journey above. God is laughing at me.

In my current relative warmth and safety I'm tempted to get to the main road and stick out a thumb, but I've never hitched before and would probably be scared. I'm a bit of a wimp, you see. Ho hum, if I ever try it I'll report back.

I also have no real need or available time for a trip to Aberdeen. I might go to Toremore and buy some whisky though. Grandads have birthdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment