Tuesday 28 July 2015

Big Tent, Little Tent

Hello!

Insert gratuitous photograph of pretty tents.

Blue sky, soft light, bunting. Not half bad, eh?


Another week, another few hundred miles on our little car, another few late nights followed far to quickly by early mornings and here we are again. This week's escapades included late-night bunting making, pitching 2 tents, pitching another tent, collecting 2 tents, and a whole punnet of tasty fruits, picked by our own fair hands.

That's my sleepy face, right there. 


This whole tent thing is pretty fun. Stressful to boot, but I'm enjoying it. Doing other people's camping for them, essentially. And we're getting better at it. Faster and slicker. Between the 2 of us 1 tent, airbed, bedding, chandelier, bunting, fairy lights, table and chairs went up in about 50 minutes on Saturday. 2 tents, 8 airbeds and all their associated crap came down, dried off, and back in to the car in 2 hours on Sunday, again with both of us. Keeping tabs on this stuff will help us work out a more accurate pricing structure for next season. Keeping tabs on what we've promised people and making sure we actually have it would be even better. Living and learning, right here.

All of this playing with tents but not actually waking up in them (which is totally the best bit) is, however, giving me an itch to squeeze in a night under canvas myself. And I might get to scratch that itch sooner rather than later.

This coming weekend we will have:

  • Tent #1 already out
  • Tent #2 getting collected on Friday
  • Tent #3 wants to be delivered to Arran on Saturday


I find this all very exciting, be warned. 


Yes, there are 3 of them now. Yes, that was a brave move. Yes, our house is tiny. No, I'm not really sure where we'll put them all.

The website even gives you the option of enquiring about all 3 of them!


Arran. That's exciting, right. There will be ferries. I've never been before, and I'm told it's a nice place, so I bravely booked us on to a sailing out on one day and a return sailing the next day. We'll find a bed in a hostel or a bunkhouse or something, it'll be easy, said I. Right? No. Turns out Arran is quite busy in August, Dufusbrain.

This leaves us with the distinct possibility that we'll wind up wild camping in our teeny old-school 2-man, whilst all the nice tents that we own have other people in! These people seem to think that there are some good spots up at the north of the island. I might just be about to find out.

This is the only picture I have of the tent in question. That little green thing just behind me. This photo is 5 years old! It probably hasn't been out since then either. I must apologise for the frizzy hair and concentration face. Best camping trip ever. 

I would like to be able to write a blog post one day about all of my favourite places for wild camping. As yet, I'd be a complete fraud if I did, on account of having never done any wild camping. This is Scotland, and one of the few places in the world where it's legal to wild camp, and sometimes I feel like that's a privilege that's passing me by every night I sleep in a bed, under a roof, like the boring person I might actually be.

So our plan for the coming weekend is this. Load up the car with all of the nice camping kit that we're going to put up for someone else. Squeeze in our little tent and 2 sleeping bags and roll mats. Very little else on account of how almost all of our other kit will be elsewhere. I'll buy a map, because maps are awesome, and we'll do some scouting around for good places. Then we'll take shedload of photographs and report back in a week's time.

My much longer term plan is to be able to write that post!



Kitchen? What Kitchen. That thing you're bored of hearing about. I'll save the big reveal for another week. When it's, y'know, finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment