Tuesday 21 April 2015

If I were an Oyster...

Where did the phrase "the world is your oyster" come from? And what exactly does it mean? I've always interpreted it as generally meaning that you have the opportunity to go and do lots of impressive things, such as the mood takes you. But oysters? Because they're fancy and apparently nice?

Never tried 'em. Don't much fancy it either!


I looked it up. Good ol' Shakespeare. Of course.

For me, it was an unnecessary bit of trite and unfounded "inspiration" delivered repeatedly to me and the three other "clever" kids at my school. Go forth and pass your exams and solve world hunger and cure cancer and stuff. But no pressure. Not that I'm sore about it or anything.

The world is probably not my oyster, but it might be something. Some other, less pretentious metaphorical shellfish perhaps? I'm a lucky bunny. I have a job that brings in money, and I have some time when I don't need to be at that job earning that money. This year that time might not get to be in the summer, but there's Annual Leave to be had at some point. I don't have children or pets or other people who are dependant upon me, and L is up for most of my adventure ideas, so I have quite a degree of freedom, when it comes down to it. I am not for a minute saying that having children or pets gets in the way of having adventures, but there is a certain luxury in only having to worry about me.

The world, alas, is not quite my oyster. But if it was...


Do you ever play out that hypothetical conversation -  If time and money were no object... where what etc?

I do, very damn often.

And this time, I've written a list. As is the form with my lists, it is not in any order, save that in which it tumbled out of my head right now. It is not exclusive, and shall no doubt be added to far faster than I can tick things off.


  • Iona



More specifically the Bay at the Back of the Ocean, Camas Cuil an t-Saimh


I have been here before. It's amazing. L hasn't and I feel that this is something I should make my responsibility to right. What's more, since I came here as a teenager, the island has gained a campsite! We have the makings of a plan. 

In the very background of this photo, just on the horizon, you can see the sombrero-shaped island known as the Dutchman's cap, which you should ask me about sometime, somewhere that isn't the internet.


  • Sandwood Bay



Just imagine it on a bad day.

A good friend tells me I should pitch one of our bell tents here for him. I've told him fine, so long as he charters the helicopter to drop me there.




  • Brunei, I think



I'm lucky enough to have been to Brunei. In 2005, I think. We were meant to be learning about the rainforest and culture and things.

Somewhere on this map is the bit of jungle we lived in for a couple of weeks
Disposable film cameras don't fair too well in rainforests, even the ones that you're meant go swimming with and take underwater. These are all the pictures I have, really, and they don't do it justice.



This was either the bit of river we used for washing in, or the bit we collected water from. Actually might have been both, come to think of it.

And I think I want to go back again some time. While there's still some jungle left. I think I want to go back. I'd a be a bit nervous that, well, I wouldn't have a clue where to start, but then I didn't have a clue that last time either.


  • Poland



Krakow looks awesome. Something about a dragon, right?


  • New Zealand



L promises she'll take me, and I'm going to hold her to it.


  • Portsoy harbour





It's just such a pretty place. Actually most of that coast is gorgeous. Come for the ice cream, stay for the prettiness. I've camped at Sandend a few times now, and made it in to the sea every time. I'd love to get hold of a kayak and a (very well sealed) packed lunch and explore every little bit of that coastline.


  • Reykjavik



Because I think I'd like it.


  • The Azores



When was maybe about 14, there was talk of us going to a folk dance festival in the Azores. It fell through, but not before I'd got very very excited about it.


  • Alton Towers



My list, my choices


  • Toulouse



Any chance to hang out with these guys, really. Plans are in full swing for our trip in June. In the meantime I'm practising my left-footed Lilt and trying to figure out how to make my sewing machine do buttonholes. I mean, just imagine getting to dance here.



That'll do for now. Taking suggestions in the comments.


3 comments:

  1. Finland in the summer? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reykjavik was neat, although I spent more time doing other Icelandic touristy stuff than actually there. Additionally, I can provide lots of authoritative advice about NZ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete