Tuesday 12 January 2016

Getting Married. To each other.

I'm trying to make some more wedding planning happen.




There's a wedding dress outlet place in town I thought we'd try while they've still got a sale on (for we are cheapskates).
"I'd like an appointment for two of us to try on dresses"
"Ok, when are you both getting married"
"*date*"
"So you're both getting married on the same day?"
"yes, to each other"


We are not, it seems, what the wedding industry is expecting.




I'm finding I need to be really quite blunt about the fact that there are two of us and we're both female, and we'll be marrying each other. As opposed to two random silent grooms that I have just neglected to mention. Maybe there's just this accepted model that the bride will get all excited and plan stuff and the groom will just let her get on with it? Seems a bit daft if there is. Fellas - you get to choose stuff too!

I find myself being a little sensitive to the phrase "Bride and Groom", when "couple" would more accurately do the trick - the straight couples wouldn't notice, and I wouldn't feel so left out. I've got thinner skin than I would like to have, metaphorically.


Even the City Council website is at it.



I feel like I should mention it to them, and see if they might fancy changing it. Thing is, I don't really know how to go about it without coming across as the overly-pushy-PC-brigade.



Many of these are businesses that aren't actively discriminating. They want my money irrespective of who I'm gonna end up lawfully wedlocked to. They just haven't quite cracked that equal wedding market thing. Do we think that any of them would give a favourable rate to their first same-sex wedding so they could say they'd done one? Now there's a thought.

I have this notion, which may or may not be a good one, that straight weddings might be a bit more fun, and a bit more personal if the couple didn't feel like they had to stick to the prescribed "groom-does-that-thing, bride-does-this-thing" roles. Maybe Mrs Straightwedding is always the one who is there first and Mr Straightwedding is always late. Why doesn't she do the waiting and he do the aisle-walking, huh?

Mostly, I hope we'll come up with the sort of homespun affair that the wedding industry would rather we didn't have, but there are going to be some aspects in which we'll have to dip a toe in the crazy world of wedding stuff. I'm thinking of getting t-shirts made up:

"I'm marrying her --->"   "<---I'm marrying her"


This week is full.


Like it's hit that point where to get any more things in you'd have to put them in a blender and then pour them in the edges and hope that there are some tiny air bubbles that could get displaced. In fact, that's pretty much how this post has been thrown together.

This is my evening schedule for the week:

Monday - teaching dancing. Well taught dancing really, because it happened already. And was okay in the end, I think.
Tuesday- committee-ing (which is what happens at committee meetings)
Wednesday - trying to remember how to play the whistle
Thursday - maybe trying on big white dresses, followed fairly immediately by going dancing again.
Friday - off to visit the room we're going to get married in and chat up the Registrar.

I hope as many of these things can be accompanied by coffee as possible. It will help.

Some time in the next day or so I need to (1) find my whistle, and (2) plan another dance class.

In a week's time I might be able to tell you how much nearer we are to having somewhere to get married in, and something to wear whilst doing it. For these are both useful, and you've got to start somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment