Tuesday 20 May 2014

Keeping Things in Proportion

On how I'm not very good at not being very good at stuff. And a big shiny bicycle.


Time to fill you lovely people in on what I am filling my days with. 

Today I went to work really not liking my job. Now it's lunchtime and I'm blogging at my desk, with a sandwich from the bakers because I was too lazy to make one this morning (despite resolution upon resolution to not keep spending all my money on lunch at work). But I am happier with my job again. This is because there was a bit of a cock-up. A little boo-boo, if you will.

The First Aid tent in Imbsheim, Alsace, that year we went there. 

What Really Happened:

A minor thing that I could not have foreseen went wrong. Had I known a thing that I did not know, I might have been able to make it not go wrong. There is now a plan B, which will make everything okay again.

What I thought had happened:

I personally screwed up the whole thing and it will all be terrible and everyone will think I'm crap at my job and not like me. And the world will probably end.

God help me if I ever wind up self-employed and running the shop (read Campsite). But this cock-up got to me, and I was sad. Then I told everyone and we fixed it. Then I made a little mental list of the stuff I like about my job, and decided that it's quite nice really. But it seems that I take things personally. More so than is reasonable. So I should work on that, and you should all remind me of that.


Exciting Things


Moving on, let's tell you about the fun stuff. As any keen-eyed facebooker will now know, we bought a bike. I am the very proud new owner of half of this beauty.

Cupholders. 
L is quite proud of her half as well. 

I have a history of buying bikes off eBay, with my current project still very much a project.

It works, in a way. One day it will be shiny and I will make it my Everyday Bike. 
This one is new and works and stuff.

It's a long way away, somewhere in deepest Englandshire, but the plan is to take a long weekend sometime soon and put another thousand miles on the little car. There is a tiny tiny chance we'll get it inside, but the roof-rack kit is being purchased. Anyone who meets us on the Northward leg of that journey ought to be suitably entertained by the sight of a huge red bike atop a tiny, short car. Believe me, this is the easy, cheap option compared to getting a brand new one across from the US of A. Besides, new ones only seem to come in a boring grey colour (or should that be color? - this is America we're talking about here) and I'd take shiny red over that any day.

This is a technical scale drawing. The bike will securely levitate above the car. 

Once we've got it back to our own neck of the woods, please consider yourselves invited to come round and try it out. Share in our excitement.


Friday just passed saw me and two lovely friends head out in to the world to fulfil our requirements of (1) coffee and (2) fresh air. We took the car, got Starbucks coffee, and headed to the beach. A prototype for a lovely little regular Tandem Outing. I am attempting to counter my spreadsheet-fatigue by imagining trips to the beach on a big, comfy, chilled-out tandem, with hot coffee in the cupholder. Like a patent-pending new edition of Rock Paper Scissors in which "Tandem" beats "Spreadsheet" every time. I am yet to figure out the hand action that represents each of these things. Or what the third thing is that fits between them. What would be beaten by "Spreadsheet" but win out in a contest with a Tandem? Perhaps a student in an Arts subject with a pair of bolt-cutters? Could be snappier.

Saturday saw a great deal of crafting, in which several grown adults got very excited about milk cartons and papier mache. There were sequins too, but it's a Secret so that's all I can tell you. There was a BBQ and my cat allergy tried to kill me.

Then there was great planning and list-writing, because I'm a sucker for a good list, and because we're going camping! I may have mentioned this already. Yay woop! This time next week, I shall be chilling in a Perthshire camp site. What does this mean for Tuesday Blog time, you ask? Ok, you didn't ask, but here's the gen nonetheless.

Next Week: Smug pictures of a picturesque tent in glorious sunshine OR sympathy-seeking pictures of soggy campers. Uploaded from my phone if I can. Or nothing at all if I'm feeling all rustic and anti-tech (which happens).

Next-Next Week: Comrie Croft Campsite Review. Watch this space.

Now for 3.5 days of work, in which I plan to not screw anything else up. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment